Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Confessions of a Verbal Processor

I had a bit of an epiphany yesterday. As a verbal processor, I have to talk about EVERYTHING in order for ANYTHING to get processed. I can literally think a few consecutive thoughts on a subject and reach no clear conclusion but, after repeating those same exact thoughts aloud to someone else, come up with some very clear insight. It doesn't even take anyone else responding to me sometimes... I just come up with this stuff on my own.

Now this stuff that I spit out with no clear direction... just thoughts that I have on said current topic... I consider that the good stuff. That's the stuff that you have to flesh through to get to anything really great. So when I talk to other people about things, I want to hear all of that stuff. I want to hear what people process through before they reach the final thought. That being said, not everyone is a verbal processor and it's a bit selfish of me to expect people to go against the grain of their processing nature just so I can know everything they're thinking. So... I had a STIM moment. It's not right or wrong, it's just different. I swear I'm going to make bumper stickers. STIM for LIFE!

I wonder if this applies to other things in my life. Am I generally more concerned with the process than the outcome? I think maybe I am.

1 comments:

Lena said...

I'm fascinated with verbal processors because I feel like they allow you to take a ride on the train tracks through their head! I am not a verbal processor, I am a visual processor. In order for me to fully understand something I must journal about it. It's something about seeing my thoughts that help me understand. When I'm trying to process something, I find verbal processors to be a hindrance to me so I hole up somewhere with my journal all by myself. But my friends who are verbal processors like to know the process I went through & I'm okay with sharing after I've finished processing everything on my own. So a great question you could ask is "how did you come to your decision" & then they can let you in on their train tracks. :)